The Edge

Thoughts from the edge of your reality. We always bring food for your table of knowledge.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

All I want is too look good

Well, its Halloween again. That time of year when people dress up and go out and generaly have a good time. I thought about heading over to a local bar all decked out and having a few for fun. Except for one thing. I cant find a decent costume. And before you run off with something like, Elvis, or Batman or something like that, listen a second.

There are no decent costumes for me. I looked thru a lot of them and for some reason I simply cannot see myself dressed up as Neo, Elvis, Batman, Superman, Captain Hook, or any of those other fairly popular and easily recognizable guys. Why, you ask? Be cause I look silly. When I was a kid doing the Halloween thing around the neighborhood I always picked someone, everyone knew. And so did everyone else. And thats when I started to notice it. Black guys do not make good Supermen, Elvis' (Elvi, Elvises, Elviss' what do you call a herd of Elvis Impersonators?), Albert Einsteins, or any of those household name types. Unless you were in something that was unmistakeable as to the referance, people never get who you are to start with. If you do pick someone you like, then you invariably have people walk up and stare at you for minutes while they try to figure out who you are supposed to be. Think Im wrong. Ok. Try this. Black guy in a suit from the 1800's, Big white ruffles comming out the front of his suit and the sleeves. Mustache cut thin, no beard, carrying a black bird around. Think on it. I have time. I will just feed the bird while you make yourself crazy. Finnaly give up? It is Edgar Alan Poe. Ok still dont belive me. Here is an easy one. Black guy again. blond wig. Brown and green leotard. calf high boots, carrying a bow with him. Some of you might get it some of you are still thinking. It would be Legolas. But picture it in your mind. See how odd it looks? And yes, I know the point of dressing up is to be someone you are not. And I dont disagree with that. BUT. When it comes to people young black people can identify with and immulate, the pickings are sparce. No, no no. I dont want to be him or him. Every black guy in America has been offered a Blade, or Morpheus costume over the past three years. And honestly, most of us pull it off horribly. Me dressed as Blade is as bad as a 300 pound redneck dressed up as Batman. scary picture there. Batman's beer gut hanging out his costume as he wheezes over to you. He slowly takes the Marlboro from his lips and says, "Ahm Bahtman, Ya'll".

Thats my whole point. I want to have more choice in costumes. Something cool, classy, and dignified that looks good on me.

And no, I am not going to be Shaka Zulu either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home