The Edge

Thoughts from the edge of your reality. We always bring food for your table of knowledge.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

I was truly amazed

I woke up late this morning so I was slow about leaving. Considering that I had not slept well and my head was still rather stuffed, I did not relish the idea of heading out. But it turned out to be a truly great thing that I did. I know everyone has heard the birds chirping in thier symphony of noise in the early morning hours. To human ears this has bot to be some ofd the most unneccisary ruckus that has ever assailed our ears. I hean all that chriping and squeeking and catter-whalling. Atleast thats what I used to think until this morning. this morning as I walked to the busstop under the trees I, like most people wondered what the hell was up with all the birds. And like a blessing, I was shown. All at once the sound stopped.I mean stark dead silent at the drop of hat. Just as I turned towards the trees I saw something beautiful. Every bird lifted off into the air. Crows, Magpies, Chickadees and some I do not recognize, all took flight in what would at first glance appeared to be a migration. After several moments of stunned spectatorship, I realized what I was seeing. It was a mass feeding. It seems that all that pre-dawn screaming and squaking had stirred up the local insect population. As the sonically stimulated bugs and pests flew forth to escape the noise, every bird around was in the air snatching himself a morning meal. It was breath taking. Flocks of birds dipping and weaving in unison as they cut a swath the flying insects that flew too slow to escape. Mind you I did feel a bit pained when I saw a brillant red dragonfly get swallowed by a large crow. I like dragonflys.So sue me. But it was for a good cause. And it is the wheel of nature after-all. And its good to know there will probably be a few less biting insects around when I go out during the evenings. But the whole thing that got me was the unison and presision which the birds used to feed. It was all instint. Everyone flew close to someone so as to make a living net when their numbers met the living mass of creepy crawlies. and few veered off or bailed out. And NO ONE hit anything. Not a tree, or a powerline, or a stop sign or a car. It was incredible. People cant do that. Not without some huge meeting and queue cards telling them where and when, and STILL some hairless monkey would still foul it up by doing just what HE wanted. The birds didnt do that. That is what made the whole thing incredible. They didnt have some big owl outthere with a whistle and a megaphone yelling at them. "Charlie! Tighten up those tail feathers or you wont get enough balance to turn! Frank! Get back to your formation! You can mate with her later! Madaline, turn to your left, we are going south this morning!" ALL the birds in the area did thier part without being told. Unrehearsed. And yes, I know "urvival of the species". Tell ya what. Pick ten people you know. Tell all of them that they have to meet you someplace at exactly 8pm. And make it sound really important and ominous. Betcha atleast 3 dont make it at-all. And of the 7 that do show atleast 2 will be more than 10 minutes late. Dont believe me? TRY IT. And that why this morning was so beautiful. Because I saw nature and instinct move an entire species to act as a single mind and body. No fighting, no trying to out-do the other guy for a bigger bug. Just functionality. Pretty damn neat huh?

2 Comments:

Blogger hkghkghk said...

Very nice story.

12:00 AM  
Blogger SeshPerAnkh said...

thanks. You been awful quiet lately

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home